Fribee Cat

Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 | Posted by Bethisboring |
I wish I still had the first thing I ever knit.  I have the first full project I ever completed -which is the Ribbed for Her Pleasure Scarf out of the Stich 'N Bitch book, but I don't have the first swatch I ever knit.  I envy those of you that do.

One of the earlier projects that I ever knit without a pattern became a beloved (or hated depending on who you ask) icon for the Women's Ultimate Frisbee team at UNCG.  His name was Fribee Cat.  Pronounced like frisbee without the "s".  He was constructed of only the cheapest Lion Brand yarn complete with a terrifyingly uneven set of eyes and a mouth.


Fribee Cat Senior had a habit of showing up in places you didn't expect him.  In the cabinet at a party, in a gift box at Christmas- he came to be known as somewhat of a creeper.  And if you really look at him he is a little creepy, I don't know what it is.

Unfortunately, it was due to his habit of hiding in places and waiting to be found that we lost him.  The original Fribee cat is out there somewhere creeping his heart out.  Even though I don't play Ultimate anymore everyone on the team has been requesting another Fribee Cat.  Well obviously you could never replace some like Fribee Cat, but fortunately for me his darker complexioned cousin came to town.



I tried to mimic my shoddy craftsmanship from the previous version, it didn't take too much effort.

3 comments:

  1. Ange said...
  2. I love that story! My husband's work has something a little similar. (He does the traffic lights and someone found a fake, realistic looking rat. The rat shows up somewhere and scares the #@%$ out of whoever is unfortunate enough to open that controller. Once that person recovers, he puts it into another controller for the next victim to discover) You cat sounds like MUCH more fun. And it's cute too! Both of them.

  3. Bethisboring said...
  4. Haha! The rat sounds like a real creeper. Maybe it's fribee cats long lost uncle :) That means it's only a matter of time before the rat starts showing up in places other than the controllers!

  5. Blair said...
  6. ....Beth, I think that fribee cat should make an appearance as a FRIBEE Cat HAT :) ....


    ...I'd definitely wear it :)

Post a Comment