Cabbage, cabbage and more cabbage

Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 | Posted by Bethisboring |
I never ate cabbage until I became a poor college student. Now it's cabbage all the time.  Green cabbage, red cabbage- we've got cabbage coming out of our ears over here. Particularly in the winter time. Potatoes, carrots, cabbage and squash get old after a few months of the same old recipes so it's time to try out something new.

Fortunately for me Day 6's prompt was: Use the first fruit or vegetable you find to work with.
So obviously, I made sure cabbage was the first thing I saw when I walked in the kitchen. I will do anything to get rid of all this cabbage. Except buy less. Every week I go to the Downtown Farm Market and every week I return with another head of cabbage. I secretly enjoy forcing Amanda to eat all kind of weird cabbage creations, I believe cabbage burritos were on the menu once.

So it was time for a new recipe. I picked a soup since the weather has been so cold and our house hasn't been warmer than 55 degrees since November. The Post Punk Kitchen has never let me down before, they have all kinds of yummy vegan recipes with ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.  For this recipe, Chickpea Rice Soup with Cabbage I had all the ingredients just laying in my pantry.  Except for fresh dill.  It's the middle of winter folks, dried will do just fine.

After getting off work I was ravenous and waiting for the carrots to get soft was torture.  The kitchen was so cold the boiling soup looked like it was putting off smoke, not just steam.


 About an hour later, prep time included, it was dinner time.



 15 minutes later we were two very happy, warm girls with full bellies, not to mention with a little less cabbage in the refrigerator.  All in all a successful evening I would say.

0 comments:

Post a Comment